The date of the formation of the theater is considered to be June 23, 1863, when the first performance of the stationary drama company took place. The modern building of the theater was built in 1935. The theater opened with the play "The Mutiny" based on the story of the same name by DA Furmanov. It is known that during the action on stage a whole cavalry was withdrawn. The project of the building, created by famous Soviet architects Shuko and Gelfreich, now represents Russia in the London Museum of the History of Architecture - next to the mock-up of St. Basil's Cathedral. This was the first theater building built in Soviet Russia.